Legal & Privacy
The North West Company is concerned about protecting your privacy. For detailed information, please view the following statements:
Please feel free to visit the following web sites:
- The Privacy Commissioner of Canada
- FAQ page about the Privacy Act and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act
Access requests, change requests, inquiries or complaints should be addressed in writing to:
The North West Company
77 Main Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 2R1
Customer Privacy Statement
Respecting your personal information is an important part of our commitment to you. Our Customer Privacy Statement lists the practices that we follow so that you can see when and how we use your personal information, and to show you that we only use that information responsibly.
- When you buy or order a product from us, you give us permission to collect, use, keep and disclose personal information that we have already collected about you as well as any additional personal information that you may provide to us, but only for the following reasons:
- To carry out our normal business activities, like answering your questions, processing your order, arranging for payment, maintaining tax records, etc.
- To send you catalogues, flyers and offers about our products or services.
- To carry out any other legitimate business activity, as long as you know about it and have given us permission to collect, use, keep or disclose your personal information in carrying on that activity.
- To satisfy legal or regulatory requirements.
- We will not give your personal information to any other business, except under the following conditions:
- If another business is performing a service for us or for you, we may tell them that portion of your personal information that they need to know to perform that service.
- If we sell, lease, reorganize or dispose of any of our businesses, we will ask the new owner/operator to agree to treat your personal information in the same way that we do.
- We might compile data and provide it to another business. For example, a manufacturer might ask for the number of warranty claims filed against a certain product. If we do this, we will make sure that you cannot be individually identified.
- Sometimes, other businesses ask us if our customers would like to know about their products or services. If we think that you might be interested and you give us permission, we would give your information to that business, but only so that they could offer you their products or services.
- If you ask us in writing, we will remove some or all of your personal information from our records, unless there is a reason why we have to keep it. If we have to keep it, we will remove it as soon as we can.
For more information about our personal information practices, please visit our website at www.northwest.ca, call 1-800-563-0002, or e-mail us at PrivacyOffice@northwest.ca.
(Updated January 2004)
The North West Company Privacy Code
The North West Company Fund is concerned about protecting your privacy.
At The North West Company Fund, respecting privacy is an important part of our commitment to you. That is why we have developed The NWC Privacy Code. The NWC Privacy Code is a statement of principles and guidelines regarding the minimum requirements for the protection of personal information by all of The North West Company Fund family of operations, which includes Northern, NorthMart, Quickstop, Crescent Multi Foods, Value Lots, Solo Market, Inuit Art Marketing Service, Giant Tiger, Cost-U-Less, Alaska Commercial Company, AC Value Centers, Frontier Expeditors, Northstar Meats, Pacific Alaska Wholesale, Span Alaska Sales, Link Financial Services, Link Tax Services, northwest.ca, sealiftexpress.com, costuless.com, alaskacommercial.com, spanalaskasales.com (hereinafter collectively referred to as "NWC"). The objective of The NWC Privacy Code is to promote responsible and transparent personal information management practices. Our principles for protecting your personal information are consistent for all our operations and are based on the Canadian Standards Association's Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information, now a statutory standard under the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
The following principles guide us in the collection, use, retention and disclosure of your personal information. NWC will continue to review the following principles and The NWC Privacy Code to make sure that they are relevant and remain current with changing industry standards, technologies and laws.
Summary of Principles
NWC is responsible for your personal information
NWC has established a Privacy Office that is responsible for overseeing the collection, use, retention and disclosure of personal information within NWC. A Chief Privacy Officer has also been appointed.
NWC will inform you of the purpose for collecting your personal information
NWC shall identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
NWC will obtain your consent for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information
An individual's knowledge and consent is required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
NWC limits the collection of personal information
NWC shall limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by NWC. NWC shall collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
NWC will only use or disclose your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected and retain the information only as necessary
NWC shall not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required or permitted by law. NWC shall retain personal information only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected.
NWC will maintain the accuracy of your personal information
Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. NWC will amend its records and, where appropriate, advise third parties regarding any changes to maintain the accuracy and completeness of an individual's personal information.
NWC is sensitive to your privacy and will protect your personal information
NWC shall protect personal information through the use of security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
NWC is open about its privacy policies and procedures
NWC shall make readily available to the individual specific information about its policies and procedures relating to its management of personal information.
NWC allows you access to your personal information
NWC shall inform an individual of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information upon request and shall provide the individual access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
NWC provides you with the answers
An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to NWC's Privacy Office.
For more information regarding the NWC Privacy Code, please contact the Privacy Office at 1-800-563-0002 or via e-mail at PrivacyOffice@northwest.ca. Access requests, inquiries or complaints should be addressed in writing to:
The North West Company Fund
77 Main Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 2R1
Please feel free to visit the Privacy Commissioner of Canada's web site.
(Updated January, 2006)