Main Course: Roast Pork with Roasted Vegetables
- 1 kilogram (2¼ pound) boneless pork roast
- 4 potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 4 pieces
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 3 tablespoons oil1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (optional)
Directions for Preparation
- Turn oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Mix oil, salt, pepper, garlic and thyme.
- Place roast in baking pan and spoon 1 tablespoon of oil mixture over roast.
- Put vegetables in bowl and mix with rest of oil mixture.
- Add to pan around roast.
- During cooking, turn vegetables every 20 minutes.
- Cook 50 to 60 minutes, until meat thermometer reads 160°F (70°C), or meat juices run clear when pierced and just a hint of pink remains inside.
Be Food Safe: Thaw frozen pork on a plate on the bottom shelf of the fridge. It will take 20-30 hours per kilogram (2¼ pounds) to thaw, so take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge the day before you want to use it. For example, if serving on Saturday evening, put the frozen roast in the fridge Friday morning.
Cooking Tip: Be sure to look at the weight of the pork roast. If it weighs more than one kilogram (2¼ pounds), it will take longer to cook. Cook pork for around 45-55 minutes per kilogram (20-25 minutes per pound).