Dessert: Candied Sweet Potatoes
Servings: 6-8 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or cloves (optional)
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Place the sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain in a pasta strainer. Let sit in the strainer for a few minutes to cool.
- Dump the strained sweet potatoes back into the pot.
- Mash the sweet potatoes until smooth. Stir in the rest of the ingredients except the marshmallows.
- Place the sweet potatoes into a greased casserole dish.
- Spread miniature marshmallows in an even layer over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in the oven until marshmallows just begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Simple but delicious side dish perfect for a holiday family gathering. To lower the carbohydrate content of this meal, replace the marshmallows with chopped pecans or walnuts.