Main Course: Cheesy Broccoli Fettuccine
- 1 small bag/box fettuccine noodles (Approximately 375 grams), preferably 100% whole wheat
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped very finely or ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 can 2 % evaporated milk (370 ml)
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons powdered chicken bouillon (soup base) or 2 cubes chicken bouillon (soup base)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 large cooked chicken breasts, skin removed and cubed (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped finely
Directions for Preparation
- Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil.
- In a medium size pot, add the oil and garlic.
- Cook for about 1 minute on medium heat. Stirring quickly using a fork or a whisk, add the flour. Stir until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Continue to stir quickly and slowly pour in the water and milk. Add the chicken bouillon.
- Continue to heat the sauce stirring often to prevent lumps.
- Meanwhile, once the pot of water boils, add in the noodles. Stir occasionally so the noodles do not stick together. Cook until soft then drain. Set aside.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into the large pot then toss the drained noodles back in. Using two big spoons, combine until the noodles are well-coated in the creamy sauce.
Pasta noodles are a grain product that contain B vitamins essential to converting the food you eat into energy. When 100% whole wheat pasta is chosen, it also contains fibre which plays a positive role in heart and gut health. Often it is the rich sauce and the usually large portions of pasta served at restaurants that give pasta a bad name. Stick to this leaner sauce, serve less than 2 cups of pasta and skip the garlic bread! This dish is so delish you wont miss it.