Main Course: Sushi Bowls
Servings: 4 servings
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups long grain parboiled rice (also known as converted rice)
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown or white sugar
- 1 package imitation crab (454 g), broken into smaller pieces or 2 cans plain sardines, drained and mashed
- 2 carrots, shredded or 1 cup canned corn niblets, rinsed and drained
- 1 cucumber, diced or 1 head romaine lettuce, sliced thinly
- 1 soft avocado or 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower or sesame seeds
- 8 dried seaweed snack sheets, sliced or crumbled - OPTIONAL
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise or whipped dressing, preferably low fat
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce – OPTIONAL
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Directions for Preparation
- Make the rice according to the package directions. Meanwhile prepare the toppings.
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer to a big bowl to let cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the dressing by stirring all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Once the rice has cooled down, mix together the vinegar and the sugar until the sugar dissolves. Stir into the rice until all the liquid is absorbed.
- To build your sushi bowls, place about 1 cup of the seasoned sushi rice in a bowl, then top with the fish, carrot/corn, cucumber/lettuce, avocado/eggs, a few pieces of seaweed and a few pinches of seeds. Drizzle with the dressing.
Rather than using imitation crab try: local fish or seafood (raw or cooked), cooked shrimp, canned tuna/salmon, mussels, oysters, (drained), canned clams (drained and rinsed) and thinly sliced smoked salmon.