Main Course: One-Pot Mango Chicken Casserole
Servings: 6-8 Servings
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
A quick hunger crushing soup for a cold winter’s day.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups frozen chopped vegetables
- 1 jar (About 400 mL) mango salsa or regular tomato salsa
- 4 cups parboiled or white rice
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
Directions for Preparation
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat. To the heated pot, add the chicken thighs, 4 tablespoons mango salsa, onion and fresh garlic or garlic powder.
- Stir and flip the chicken after a few minutes. Cook until the chicken thighs are browned, and the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- To the same pot, add the rest of the ingredients except the salsa.
- Bring up to a boil, lower the heat to low and cover the pot with the lid.
- After 10 minutes, stir in half of the leftover salsa into the rice. Place the chicken on top of the cooking rice topped with the rest of the mango salsa.
- Cover with a lid and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the rice is fluffy.