Dessert: Date Squares
Servings: 10-12 Squares
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45-55 minutes
This date-filled bar with a chewy oatmeal crust is the perfect sweet treat to serve visitors over the holidays.
- 1 package dates (500 grams)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup (250 ml) water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cup oats
- ¼ cup chia seeds or hemp hearts (optional)
Directions for Preparation
- In a medium pot, bring the first three ingredients to a boil. Stir constantly until the dates have fallen apart. Let cool.
- Heat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Place the rack in the middle position. Oil a 7”x 11” or 8” x 8” baking dish.
- In a bowl, Stir together the sugar, butter, and milk until smooth. Stir in the flour, oats and the chia seeds or hemp hearts (optional) until combined.
- Spread half the oat mixture into the baking dish and pack it down.
- Layer with the date mixture.
- Cover with the remaining oat mixture and press down lightly.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Let cool.
- Cut into squares and store in the fridge.