Main Course: Creamy Tuna Casserole
- 8 cups cooked spaghetti or pasta noodles, preferably whole-wheat
- 6 cups mixed frozen vegetables
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 cup cold fresh milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 can (354 mL) evaporated milk (preferably 2%)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (170 grams) flaked tuna, drained well
- 1 container (227 grams) herb and spice flavor cream cheese dip
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Preparation
- In a large pot, boil the noodles when they are done add in the frozen vegetable to quickly thaw them. Drain and set aside.
- Stirring quickly, slowly add in the flour into the cold milk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, add the margarine, the evaporated milk, and the garlic powder. Heat to a low boil.
- Slowly add in the cold milk and flour mixture. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cream cheese dip and the parmesan cheese. Stir until combined. Taste and add more seasoning if needed. Add milk if too thick.
- In the large pot where the pasta was cooked, mix together the sauce, vegetables and noodles.
To save time, do step #1 the night before so the noodles and vegetables are ready to be mixed into the casserole.
This noodle casserole has a velvety smooth sauce that hits the spot when the family is craving warm and filling comfort food.