Main Course: Spaghetti Squash Marinara
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large jar (about 750 mL) pasta sauce
- ½ package (900 gram) of spaghetti noodles
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- Carefully split the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
- Line an oven tray with aluminum foil and spread the vegetable oil.
- Place squash flat side down. Roast for 45 minutes until soft. Take out of the oven, flip and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti noodles in a large pot.
- Once cooked, drain and place back in the pot with the pasta sauce.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, using a large kitchen spoon to scrape the strands of squash from the inside of the skin. Toss into the pot with and mix until combined with the pasta noodles.
- Top with parmesan cheese before serving.
The addition of spaghetti squash not only adds a hint of natural sweetness, it boosts the fiber and nutrient content of the meal.