Main Course: Easy Bean Quesadillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup water
- Chili powder, add to your taste
- 1 cup block cheese, shredded
- 6 medium tortillas, preferably whole wheat
Directions for Preparation
- Heat the oil in a medium-size pot. Fry the onion and the carrot until softened.
- Add the beans and the water. Bring up to a boil stirring often.
- After about 10 minutes, mash with a fork or a potato masher.
- Let cook for another few minutes. The mashed beans should be thick but add water if too thick to stir.
- Spread each tortilla with equal amounts of bean mixture then top with equal amounts of cheese. Fold each quesadilla in half to look like a half-moon.
- Heat a large, non-stick pan until warm. Add a quesadilla. Once golden, flip to cook the other side. Cut each quesadilla into wedges then serve.
Serve these with a side of tomato salsa for dipping. To make these ahead of time, complete directions 1- 5. Cover well and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Then fry right before serving.