Main Course: Mushrooms & Ham Stuffed Steak
- 1 sirloin steak or wild meat, about 454 grams
- 1 package (227 g) mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ¼ onion finely chopped or 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons rice
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 4 thin slices of ham deli meat
- ½ cup shredded cheese
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° F.
- Place the mushrooms in a frying pan to cook. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the steak in an extra-large, sealable plastic bag. Grab a rolling pin or a pot to pound the meat. Try to get it as thin possible without creating holes. Set aside.
- Once the mushrooms are slightly cooked, place in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients except the cheese and ham. Mix well.
- Lay the steak out in a baking pan.
- Sprinkle on the shredded cheese then layer on the ham.
- Evenly spread out the stuffing onto the steak.
- Roll the steak. Some of the stuffing will fall into the pan. That’s ok.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes before taking off the foil and slicing.
This is going to be a new family favourite. It takes a little time in the oven, but it is so worth it. For a complete meal, serve alongside some whole grain bread and a salad or steamed veggies.