Dessert: Strawberry Crumble Pie
Servings: 9-inch pie
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 9-inch frozen pie crust (or one homemade pie crust)
- 1 pound strawberries, washed then hulled & chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons corn starch or 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup cold butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Poke the pie crust with a fork and bake for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together all the filling ingredients. Set aside.
- Put all the topping ingredients into another bowl.
- Using a butter knife, cut into it while mixing it with the oat mixture. The topping should look like small pea-size lumps.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust followed by the oat topping. Spread out in an even layer.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet and bake 350°F for 45-60 minutes or until the crust becomes a golden brown
- Let cool at least an hour before serving.
Helpful conversions when making the strawberry pie: 454 grams = one pound = about 3 cups chopped strawberries, 1 ½ pounds strawberries = perfect for a twelve-inch pie.