Snack: Homemade Cream Corn
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated
- margarine or butter or 1 tablespoon oil + 1 tablespoon *bacon grease
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1tablesoon sugar
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 1 ½ cups cold milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions for Preparation
- In a medium saucepan, fry the onion with the fat until golden brown.
- Add the seasonings and the frozen corn. Stir.
- In a medium bowl, stir the flour into the milk until it is dissolved.
- Pour the milk mixture over the corn.
- Stir constantly while bringing up to a gentle boil.
- Let cook until thickened. Add more milk if needed.
- Add the parmesan cheese.
Optional: Use a hand blender right in the pot or transfer the corn to a blender to purée into a thinner consistency based on your family’s preference.
*Bacon grease is saturated fat. That means it is not a heart-healthy choice, but it certainly does have a lot of flavour. Save it in the freezer to use little amounts in recipes as a seasoning and use vegetable oil most often for frying.