Main Course: Impossible Supper Pie
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (3 tablespoons if using lean meat like turkey sausage)
- 5 Italian sausages or 7 breakfast sausages
- 1 medium white or red onion, sliced or 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups fresh vegetable like grape tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, sliced zucchini or frozen mixed vegetables, any kind (thawed and drained very well)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon any dried herb like parsley or 1 tablespoon any fresh herb like basil
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
- 1 package (about 250 grams) chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and drained very well
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Grease a large, deep baking dish around 9 inches by 13 inches.
- Spread the oil onto the bottom of the dish. Scatter the sausages and vegetables into the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and place in the fridge to cook later or continue on to step 5.
- In a medium bowl, place the dry ingredients.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add in the milk. Stir until smooth.
- Blend in the eggs and stir in half of the cheese.
- Roughly chop the cooked sausage and scatter onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour the milk mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for about 45 or until a knife inserted into the middles comes out clean. Top with the remaining cheese. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
This is the easiest quiche ever. Start the night before to speed up the cooking process the next day. Makes a large batch that you cut into squares so the leftovers can be packed for weekday lunches.