Salad: Protein Packed Pasta Salad
Servings: Ten 1 cup servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 small box (375 g) or 4 cups
- 100% whole grain pasta noodles, like macaroni
- 1 medium can (540 ml) or 2 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed then drained
- 1 can (170 g) light tuna, drained
- ¼ cup onion, grated or 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 2 carrots, washed and grated
- 1 green pepper or 2 stalks celery, diced
- ¼ cup whipped salad dressing, preferably low fat
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
Directions for Preparation
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
- While the noodles are boiling, combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain, rinse and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta to the bowl and gently stir until the noodles are well coated.
This satisfying protein-packed salad will keep you feeling fuller longer. Protein is essential to building and repairing tissues and important in developing bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood. Choose plant-based protein from whole grains and beans or nuts more often as they contain healthful fats and fibre for heart health.