Snack: Oatmeal Breakfast Truffles
- 2 bananas
- ¼ cup applesauce, preferably unsweetened
- 1 cups large flake oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cup boiling water or milk (for added nutrition)
- 1 cup peanut or any nut butter
- About 3 cups dry breakfast cereal, kids’ choice
Directions for Preparation
1. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas. Add the applesauce, oats and cinnamon.
2. Carefully pour in the boiling water or milk and mix until combined.
3. Stir in the peanut or nut butter.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
Now kids can help with this part:
5. Place the chosen dry cereal in a large bowl.
6. Using a tablespoon, kids can scoop and roll the oatmeal mixture into balls then roll in the dry cereal. Once the truffle is coated in dry cereal, re-roll between hands to pack in the dry cereal. The dry cereal gives the truffles structure. Note, the oatmeal mixture gets very sticky. Keep the mixture cold before rolling.
7. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Healthier cereals contain 10 grams or less of sugar and at least 2 grams of fibre per serving.