Main Course: Sweet and Sour Ground Beef
Servings: 4-5 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound (450 grams) lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or 1 teaspoon dried ginger (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups mixed fresh or frozen chopped vegetables like peppers, mushrooms, carrots, peas
- 1 can (540 mL) pineapple tidbits including the juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, preferably low sodium
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 cup water
Directions for Preparation
- Brown the ground beef in a large frying pan over medium heat, stirring to break up the beef. Drain the fat.
- Drain the juice from the pineapple tidbits and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and drained pineapple to the browned meat. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring constantly until the onions are softened.
- Stir in the vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the rest of the ingredients until smooth.
- Add the liquid mixture to the frying pan and bring up to a boil. Stir well, then reduce the heat to low.
- Let cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add more water if needed.
Serve over brown rice, whole wheat noodles or a whole grain like quinoa or cooked barley. This recipe can easily be doubled to serve a larger crowd.