Main Course: Creamy Mushroom and Rice Casserole
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups fresh sliced mushrooms OR 3 cans (284 mL) sliced mushrooms (rinsed and drained)
- 1 ½ cups (about 1 medium) onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ½ cups minute rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder, preferably low sodium
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or any dried herb like thyme or oregano
- 3 cups milk, any type (canned evaporated will make it creamier)
- 1 cup shredded cheese, any type
Directions for Preparation
- Warm oil in medium-size pot. Stir in mushrooms and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the rice, water, bouillon powder and seasoning. Bring up to a boil, reduce to low and cover.
- Stir every few minutes, slowly adding the milk.
- Once the rice is soft (about 10 minutes), turn off the heat and stir in the cheese.
To make this a balanced one-dish meal, add cooked meatballs, any cooked meat or canned seafood at step 4.