Main Course: Homemade Macaroni n’ Cheese
- Box or bag (375 g) or 4 cups elbow macaroni noodles
- 3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 can (354 mL) 2% M.F. evaporated milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 cups chopped frozen broccoli (optional)
Directions for Preparation
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and place back into the pot. Set aside.
- In a smaller pot, melt margarine over medium heat. Stir in the flour and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk and water.
- Cook stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Slowly stir in cheese until fully melted.
- Add cheese sauce to the cooked macaroni. Combine so all the noodles are coated in sauce. Add more milk if sauce is a little too thick.
For a more balanced meal, add 4 cups chopped frozen broccoli to the boiling noodles when they are almost done. Drain with the noodles and mix in with the cheese sauce.