Soup: Cream of Carrot Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 carrots, washed and chopped
- 3 apples, washed and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons white or brown sugar
- 2 chicken or vegetable bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons loose bouillon powder
- 1 can (354 ml) evaporated milk
Directions for Preparation
- In a large pot, warm oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion has softened. Add the rest of the ingredients except the evaporated milk.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low boil. Stir occasionally, until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add the evaporated milk.
- Use a hand blender to purée the soup until smooth right in the pot or transfer in small batches to purée in a standard blender. Be careful, the steam can be very hot.
Carrots have phytochemicals (healthy plant chemicals) that may help reduce the risk of developing cancer.