Main Course: Crispy Fish Sticks with Garlic Dipping Sauce
If you’re wondering how to get your children to eat — or even love — fish, try making them this.
- 1 frozen package white fish filets like sole (400g), thawed or local white fish filets
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or crushed corn flakes
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, preferably low fat
- 3 tablespoons light sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- If using thawed frozen fish, gently squeeze as much water out of the filets as possible.
- Cut the fish into "fingers" about the size of your own finger.
- Set up 2 large bowls in an assembly line. In the first bowl, beat the egg with the oil. In the second bowl, toss the breadcrumbs with the salt.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil then coat with a little vegetable oil.
- Toss the fish fingers in the oil mixture, shake before placing in the breadcrumbs. Turn several times to coat evenly.
- Space the breaded fingers evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. Turn on the oven to low broil for a few minutes to brown the tops. Remove from the oven.
- Make the dipping sauce by mixing together the remaining ingredients.
You can also make a batch of fish fingers and freeze before cooking to make a quick and easy dinner another time.