Soup: Hearty Sausage Soup
Servings: 8 portions
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
This is a filling and nourishing soup that will warm you up waiting for the Spring thaw.
- 4 sausages, any flavour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups frozen vegetables with carrots like California mix
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried herbs like thyme or Italian seasoning
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can kidney beans (around 540 mL) drained and well-rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Preparation
- In a large pot, add the sausage and onion. Cook the sausage until golden on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- To the pot, add the water, vegetables, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and cover with the lid. Let cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes and slice the sausage into rounds.
- After 15 minutes, place the potatoes, beans, and sausage into the pot. Cover with the lid and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.