Soup: Creamy Macaroni Chicken Soup
Servings: 8 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 4 chicken thighs or drumsticks, skin removed
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 ½ cups chopped cabbage (optional)
- 5 cups water
- 1 ½ cups elbow macaroni noodles, preferably whole-wheat
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can (354 mL) evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Preparation
- In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the chicken. Boil the chicken in low to medium heat for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot. Cook the onion, celery and carrot until softened.
- If using cabbage, add it here plus the remaining 6 cups of water plus the stock from the boiled chicken pot.
- Gently boil for 20 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to touch, shred the meat using your hands.
- Add the meat and the elbow macaroni to the pot. Cook just until the macaroni is slightly soft.
- Place the flour in a medium-size bowl. Slowly stir in the milk until smooth. Add to the pot and gently boil until the soup thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
If you have leftovers, scoop out the macaroni noodles and store in a separate container from the rest of the soup to avoid soggy noodles the next day. This rich chicken noodle soup is a favourite with kids and adults alike. It is a true comfort food.