Main Course: Kicking Boxed Pancake Mix Up a Notch
Try one of these with your pancake mix!
- 3 bananas, mashed and 1/3 cup finely chopped nuts or peanut butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, roughly chopped + 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries, roughly chopped + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped/grated apple or applesauce (reduce liquid in the recipe by ½ cup) + ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins, soaked for 10 minutes some hot water then drained (plumps them up)
- ½ cup cranberries, soaked for 10 minutes some hot water then drained (plumps them up)
- 1 cup canned crushed canned pineapple (well drained) + ½ cup toasted shredded coconut
- 1 cup shredded zuchini (squeeze with paper towel to remove moisture) and ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn (well drained) + ½ cup shredded cheese, preferably low-fat
Directions for Preparation
While healthy add-ins can boost the nutrition of pancakes, it is best to make each batch with skim milk or milk powder which provides protein, vitamins and minerals essential for good health. Leftover pancakes? No problem! Once cooled, place leftovers in an air-tight plastic baggie, label with the date and toss in the freezer. Re-heat for a minute or two in the microwave or toaster.