Salad: Crunchy Cucumber Salad
- 2 English cucumbers, washed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika or chili powder
- Black pepper to taste
Directions for Preparation
- Take a fork and run down the length of the cucumber to score the peel. Do this to the entire cucumber.
- Slice the cucumbers as thinly as possible
- Place the cucumbers in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Put another, smaller bowl on top of the cucumber slices with something heavy in the bowl to weigh it down and squish the cucumber.
- After 30 minutes, drain the water and try to squeeze out as much water as possible from the cucumbers.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients and pour over the cucumber.
- Place in the fridge for a few hours or even overnight for a fuller flavour. Sprinkle with the paprika or chili powder right before serving.
The reason this salad tastes better and the cucumbers are crunchier the next day is because the vinegar and salt get a chance to marinate the cucumbers almost making them quick pickles.