Snack: Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
- 2 cups strawberries or any berries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup oats, any type other than the instant variety
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon flour, preferably whole wheat
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar, unpacked
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine or butter, melted
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Place the rack in the centre of the oven. Line an 8” x 8” baking pan with aluminum foil so the foil overhangs two sides like handles.
- Place the berries in a pot. Bring up to a low bubble and let cook uncovered while preparing the oat crumble. Stir occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, 1 cup of flour, brown sugar, spice and salt. Pour in the melted margarine and stir until the mixture forms clumps.
- Set aside ½ cup of the mixture. Press the rest firmly into an even layer in the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the berries on top of the crumble bottom. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour then evenly spoon on the reserved crumble topping.
- Bake for 35 minutes then broil on low for the remaining 10 minutes or until the crumble topping turns golden brown.
- Let the pan cool for 30 minutes then place in the fridge for at least another 30 minutes to set.
- Slice and serve alongside a dollop of vanilla yogurt.
This recipe can easily be doubled in a 9” x 13” pan but will need to bake an additional 10 minutes as they bars will be thicker.
105 Calories (kcal), 5.1 g Fat, 40 mg Sodium, 15 g Carbohydrate, 1.9 g Fibre, 2.5 g Protein per small square