Main Course: Chicken or Turkey Salad Sandwich
- 1 can (156 g) flaked chicken or turkey
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or whipped salad dressing, preferably low fat
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- Pepper to taste
Directions for Preparation
1. Put the canned meat in a bowl. Mash with a fork until all the pieces are broken up.
2. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and it’s ready for your sandwich.
Canned turkey and chicken are healthier choices found in the canned food section, as they are higher in protein and lower in fat than many other canned meat choices. Canned fish like tuna, salmon, sardines, clams, oysters and mussels are the healthiest options found in the canned meat section. They are, however, higher in salt compared to these same items made from fresh meat or fish. To boost the nutrition of your meal, use 100% whole grain bread, bun, wrap or pita to stuff your filling into and add some veggie sticks on the side and a glass of milk or yogurt.