Main Course: Meaty Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) lean ground meat
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 2 large cans (796mL/28oz) diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups elbow macaroni, NOT COOKED
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs, such as basil and oregano (optional)
Directions for Preparation
- Combine the meat, onions and garlic over medium heat.
- Cook until browned, stirring frequently.
- Add the uncooked macaroni and tomatoes (with juice).
- Turn up heat and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until macaroni is tender.
- Add a little water if the mixture gets too thick.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in cheese, chili powder and dried herbs.
- Cover and let sit for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
Be Food Safe!: Thaw frozen meat on a plate on the bottom shelf of the fridge. It will take about 5 hours to thaw 500 grams (around 1 pound) of ground beef.
It’s Good for You!: Try adding about 1 cup of frozen corn, peas or mixed vegetables to this recipe. Add at same time as macaroni and tomatoes.
Served with raw vegetables, water and dried fruit. This popular recipe is prepared in just one pot. The macaroni cooks with all the other ingredients.